Thursday, June 25, 2009

Observations from Munich

If it hadn't been raining like the end of days, I think I would have fallen pretty hard for Munich. Feels a bit like San francisco in terms of it's accessibility - very bikeable and tons of public transport options.

Found some cool bars and restaurants up near the university area. Definitely not specific to Munich, but common tables are the norm at restaurants, encouraging interaction with strangers over food ... So much better.

People here (and in Berlin) are pretty easy on the eyes. I'm just sayin'...

Apparently the cost of living is very high here yet waitpeople and shop clerks are somehow making ends meet. I have yet to see any obviously homeless people in Europe except for in Amsterdam - not sure why that is.

Prague was gorgeous but I'm not sure I need to go back again. It felt very touristy, whereas Berlin and Munich feel like places I'd like to live for a while. Hard to put my finger on why, exactly.

The rain has definitely limited us ... Was looking forward to biking around, checking out the scene at the English gardens, mad king Ludwig's castle, etc. We have managed to explore the art museums, the deutsche museum, hoffbrau house, nymphenburg palace, Dachau concentration camp and the old center of town. A few photos below... More when I get home. As expected, Dachau was tough.


















3 comments:

  1. it's so nice to see a pic of you on your blog! museums look good on you.
    you're pretty easy on the eyes. i'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 Munich!! Spent a couple days there last summer. Germany is absolutely fabulous. And Mad King Ludwig was definitely off his rocker. Safe travels!!

    PS. When do you get home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the love,NB. YOU'RE just sayin. Wait...

    hey paige, i get home in mid-july after florence and istanbul... you back in the bay area for the summer?

    ReplyDelete