Saturday, May 9, 2009

Siem Reap in a day or so...

Though only my second night in Siem Reap, I can heartily recommend it over Phnom Penh (or Bankok) ... You've got access to modern conveniences should you need them, but it's decidely smaller and slower paced - which strikes me as a bit of the point for these countries. Siem reap lacks much in the way of infrastructure but it's also less seedy and safer than those cities... There is a little tourist enclave should you need that but it doesn't take long to get to neighborhoods where the electricity is provided by portable generators.

I've tried to make the most of my short time here with a trip to a fishing village on lake Tonse at sunset, shopping and dinner in the old market, a couple of drinks at a local club where kids were breaking it down old school style, and a visit to more temples than you could shake a chicken satay at (Ankor Wat and Ankor Thom among others). Tomorrow I may fire off a few rounds at the shooting range before flying back to Bankok.

The ruins were definiely impressive but I may have enjoyed the time on the water the most. Wish I'd budgeted more time for Cambodia. Some good photos coming but here are some quick shots taken with my phone...

























No comments:

Post a Comment