Saturday, April 4, 2009

The drive up North

I started up I-5 on Wednesday and quickly realized that A) I was making it to my destination too quickly and B) visiting towns like Williams CA wasn't going to make this trip very memorable -- so I did what anyone driving by himself with no particular place to be would do: I changed course and headed for the coast. It was a pretty drive through Shasta and Whiskey Town and kind of fun winding through the mountain roads but I was admittedly a bit burnt by the time I crashed at the Motel 6 in Arcata. Red Bull and Doritos had formed an unholy alliance in my gut for which I am still paying.

Waking up the next morning and getting back on the road, I knew I'd made the right move. The Oregon coastline is truly breathtaking. I found myself regretting I hadn't packed my tent and some warm weather gear for an overnight stay in one of the many parks along the way. It was cold and often rainy but so lush, green and alive -- I was glad to have the chance to remind myself of the beauty of our own country before I head overseas.

The general tension I had during the drive was between trying to get from point A to point B as fast as possible (my tendency) versus taking the time to enjoy the ride. If I get nothing else from the 4 months off, hopefully I will spend more time enjoy where I'm at and less time on the move.

I finished the second day with a night in Portland, staying at a hip hotel called The Jupiter. For those considering it, I can heartily recommend the Oregon coast if you've got the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment