Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The 'Why' of it

Everyone I've talked to is excited and maybe a bit jealous about my travels. I've had a few friends ask me: "what do you hope to get out of it?" The quick answer is, I'm not sure. Part of me simply sees this as a chance to decompress a little after many years working on the salt mine. Part of me hopes this will be a chance to reflect a little on what I'm doing with myself and where I'm going. One way or another, I'm pretty sure it will be an adventure I won't forget.

The places I'm headed to are generally in the 'amazing' and 'inexpensive' category based on what I've heard from folks who've traveled there. The Europe jaunt is the obvious exception, but it made sense to tag along with my family's travel plans on that one.

Regrets? I have a few. I may be guilty of trying to do too much. I won't have the opportunity to really immerse myself in any one place or pause for much reflection along the way. I'd also considered volunteering or doing a language school but it looks like I won't be in one place long enough to do this as it currently stands.

Plans can change - I'm looking to stay flexible and see what happens. After all, when's the next time I'm going to be in Haiti? (thanks Adam for the link)

2 comments:

  1. oh no! don't go to haiti and do some random woman! (thanks, adam.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dan! very jealous. pls tell carleecious i said hi. miss ya!

    ReplyDelete